Saturday, June 7, 2008

Embarking on my Cello Journey!!!

Immediately after a day I got my cello, I went booked a trial lesson and started my first cello lesson! I am starting to play 4 notes! C, G, D, A (the 4 open notes of the cello). Simple yet, it isn't all that easy. I've always felt that string instruments are difficult to play... The control of the bow, finger placement, expression... etc. So today's lesson was mainly on the introduction and how to bow.

The "structure" of my fingers are not complementing the way I am supposed to hold the bow. For those who do not know, I have an exceptionally flexible thumb. Even my cello teacher commented on it. I just hope that that would not be a hindrance to my progress.

I totally love the sound of the cello. And, I am beginning to love my cello! Although it is a little reddish but the more I look at it, the more beautiful it appears to me. Apart from the outlook, the sound is also good! Warm and low, not piercing to the ears. It is fun playing the cello! It feels great feeling the vibration onto my body :) So interesting!

Today a friend, David called me up to do a gig. It'll be at some pub and we'll be doing english numbers. Sounds like a good experience and fun. I hope I would enjoy it! Looking forward to it... With so many things at hand, I feel "filled to the brim"... Music is surrounding my life... Will music ever depart from my life?

-LeB-

0 comments: