Saturday, April 18, 2009

my latest CD purchases...


Over the last 1-2 months, I have bought about 5 CDs, ranging from Cantonese Pop, Jazz albums, instrumentals, a Christian album... etc... 2 of the albums I bought stood out. Eric Kwok's Leet Collection and Eason Chan's (陈奕迅) H3M, which actually means hak hau hak mien; direct translation is black mouth, black face. H3M is what they call his line up of musicians touring with him. Interesting! Haha...

Cantonese Pop is very much more interesting to me compared to the current Chinese songs. To me, they are more daring, more creative and adventurous in trying out different styles and genres, especially Eason Chan. I took notice of the songwriter/arranger/producer Eric Kwok from his famous numbers such as 幸福摩天轮 - Eason, 伤逝 - Sally Yeh, 华丽邂逅 - Joey Yung. He has adopted his very own style to the usage of notes in his compositions, and that to me is very interesting... I like his songs too... It was also through the album that I realised he composed a song by Sandy Lam that I like very much! Talented guy he is...

So Eason Chan released his latest full cantonese album. Honestly, I love his cantonese songs better, much better I think. It was thrilled to know he had an album out. I was out with Sun Quan when I decided to get his album. Sun Quan saw the album cover and said, "Who's this? Robinson Crusoe?" wahhahah! I replied, "Yah, yah"... well, as if I know how Robinson Crusoe looks like! Anyway, who is RC? I flipped through the lyric book hoping to find Eric Kwok's work in this album, but... nope. However, I got to say that this album is terrific! I played the CD on my car and through the first 4 albums, ALL the songs were nice! Refreshing ideas, nice hooks to the song, great arrangement and of course, splendid vocals by Eason himself. It reminded me of the time Danick, Minny and I went to watch his concert. It was ... REALLY GOOD. No doubt one of the best singers in the Chinese industry. 2 thumbs up for Eason Chan and his new album. Also, kudos to all the musicians involved in the album. Loving it and listening to it through and through.

From H3M, no.1 on my list is... Allegro, Opus 3.3 a.m. (with a tinge of Mika-ness in the song... its a very refreshing song that gets you on your toes!)

no.2 of my recommendation is... 于心有鬼 (a slow number with a nice hook, the kind that I like)

no.3 ... Life Goes On (a swingy feel with that some kinda hook that gets me)

no.4 ... 七百年后 (I think this is the hit song on the album, however, I think I prefer the not-so-commercial stuff)

anyway, all tracks are good! get the album man!

it seems fun to be a CD critic...

Good music must be shared and appreciated!

-LeB-

0 comments: