Tuesday, November 10, 2009

These days Fridays = Doomsday...

At least last Friday was better... I have been taking Jazz Piano lessons from someone quite legendary. I got introduced to her by Edmund and lessons with her have been fruitful! I really hope to improve further and one day be able to play real, solid jazz.

Fridays have been really terrifying or should I say stressful because the work load is tough at times. And somehow, I "lose myself" when I have piano lessons with my teacher. I feel like a hermit crab. Though she's really nice and stuff, she's a strict educator; which I haven't quite faced in all my music education. But I think... I got to stick with her. I really need someone like that. (especially for a lazybum like me! arggh!) 'Cause I would be afraid of being SLAUGHTERED (which I was 2 weeks back), I would practice.. and I would really practice. Sometimes its really trying but after it all... I feel a sense of satisfaction. Keep going Caleb! And also with the fact that I know its gonna be hard work and more hard work to improve myself musically. I am starting to see the difference between school teachers scolding students vs. a private educator scolding the student... I was never the goody-two-shoe student in school but with my music teacher, I am willing to be scolded. I guess the difference is that... I really want this, I really want to play the piano well, I really want to play jazz, I really want to improve musically. Minhui ever said she doesn't understand why her students who come back to her even though she SCREAMS at them... Haha... Now I can totally experience it. But of cause, my teacher doesn't exactly scold... she is just strict and... POWERFUL.

Its the end of Monday now and I really got to "mug" for this Friday's lesson again. Go go go! But... I got to say I am quite pleased with something I did for my lesson. I did a 31 bars jazz solo transcription? Something I never thought I would do. I can kinda hear and play melody and chords... But a jazz solo?? The notes run like they are doing a 100m sprint. Although it was HARD WORK, I somehow did it. I was praying as I did it, and I managed it somehow. Praise the Lord!


My Jazz Solo Transcription! Not very much accurate but I tried!

So apt it is that David's sermon in church just yesterday was on stress. He started off with... Stress is good but excessive stress is not. I think that applies to me VERY VERY MUCH. I need some kind of stress/pressure... I pray that the Lord will help me cope and balance my life well. :)

Some pointers from David's sermon...

1. Know where we are going - certainty
Heb 11:1 now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Matthew 11:28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

3. Know what we want - desires
(NIV) Psalm 40:8I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart."

(NIV) Psalm 37:4Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.

And a verse that I've always liked... and I sing to it...
Matthew 6:33
33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

God bless all!!! :)

-LeB-

0 comments: