Wednesday, January 7, 2009

different stages in life, differing tastes...

These days I am quite very into jazz. Been listening to Diana Krall, Hiromi, Charlie Parker, Harry Conick Jr... etc... I have finally moved on to another spectrum in music and to really appreciate jazz. So much so that I could feel "high" listening to it; especially on Diana Krall's piano playing. It was just about a year ago when my piano teacher introduced me to Hiromi. She lent me her CD, I took it home, listened but nothing much sank into me. Months later, probably after more influences, I listened to her songs again and it means so much to me! So much creativity, life, expression, technique... She's awesome! Inspiring!

I have always liked the sound of jazz, but thats probably easy-listening jazz. Listening to the likes of Diana Krall, Michael Buble some jazz-influenced chinese pop. But truth is, there is so much to jazz, so much more in depth. And as I began to explore further, listening to more variety... its refreshing :) I never thought I would appreciate these, but, the time came. And its now... this stage in my life.

However, some songs would always remain close to my heart. Simple songs with emotive melodies. Those chinese and canto oldies. There's where my "old man" instincts come into play. A few days back I was watching an old hong kong serial and when the show ended, they played one of Eric Moo's canto songs. Oooh... It immediately caught my emotions... And songs... bring back lots of memories. I always akin songs and music to a box filled with memories and our past.
So although I have "evolved", "moved on"... But some things just don't change. I have only perhaps been filled with more...

-LeB-

0 comments: