Friday, February 29, 2008

How Diverse O Thy Music...

At the end of the show, one of the musicians said that you've got to flow with your soul. I just returned from the Esplanade, after watching a recital. The title of the program is Harpercussion. There were only 3 musicians playing on different instruments, namely the Harp, Flute and the Cello. I got drawn to the recital because of the cello. I have somehow fallen in love with the sound of the instrument and I'm planning to learn it after my exams in May. :)

Tonight's recital was a different experience from the many performances that I have watched so far. They featured pieces from the "modern century" and played a total of 4 pieces and an encore piece. It wasn't even pieces from the classical or baroque century where the music might ring a bell. It was the first time listening to these pieces tonight. Also, it was the first that I saw a person playing the harp, really interesting. The harpist challenged all the possible ways of playing the harp on her first piece that lasted 25mins; a solo piece of hers. Another first was having a cello played right in front of me at such close proximity. The performance was at the recital studio which was very enclosed and could only seat up to 250 people. The acoustics were great and no sound system was needed. That was the best part of the recital! Everything was pretty much LIVE and very real. :) The cellist who was playing is Natasha Liu (you can view her myspace profile at http://www.myspace.com/junyanliu) I was randomly surfing people's myspace account and I saw hers. I was intrigued by her display photos and the fact that she plays the cello and is based in Singapore and the UK. She looks good playing the cello, not only that, she sounds great on her instrument! Great control and tone quality coming from her. I wonder how much does her instrument cost to be able to produce that kind of a sound. Anyway, she will be having another performance in Singapore at the end of June. If you're interested, do look out for her. :) Needless to say, the flautist was very good as well. They are all VERY professional.

About the pieces, it isn't the kind of music that is very easy to appreciate (at least for myself). I always felt that music from the classical, baroque, romantic period or 20th century are music that I would need much more time to digest or appreciate. Its just amazing how music can be so diverse yet they are all under a single category and each has its own colour to it. Each portrays a different picture and is apt for different occasions. Music is wonderful and amazing. I hope that I would be able to discover more insights into music as time goes by. Although I could not very much identify with the music tonight, the sound of it was sufficient pleasure. :) It was a joy to hear the trio... harp, flute and cello. I'm looking forward to Natasha Liu's next performance in June.

Thanks Xingyu for accompanying me to the recital... My music and arts khaki.

-LeB-

0 comments: