Thursday, March 11, 2010

the pursuit of playing jazz...

I think my appreciation for jazz has heighten another level. I first liked jazz when I was around 17; listening to Diana Krall's album. Which is probably easier to listen to compared to other jazz artistes. Last time all I would and probably could say is that... "jazz... its nice, its classy..."

Diana Krall still remains as one of my favourite jazz artistes but along with her, I have widen my listening repertoire, to artistes like Hiromi (a sure favourite), Oscar Peterson, Art Tatum, Keith Jarrett, Red Garland and of late... Vince Guaraldi. I went to HMV yesterday to get some albums to listen to... and I got Art Tatum's and Vince Guaraldi's album. Its my first time listening to Vince Guaraldi, who is best known for his compositions for Charles Schulz's Peanuts. I have to say that his playing is very tasteful, not extremely complex but he definitely has his chops. And I like it :)

However, when it comes to playing jazz, I still have a long way to go. But whats comforting is that... I do see myself improving (although probably, I should be improving faster), still its better than nothing. At least now, I can play some licks that sounds really quite jazz; whereas last time I could play... Some licks that are so predictable, all my friends would know I am playing the piano/keys. Hahah! And I really enjoy seeing myself improve and playing stuff that really sounds jazz. I give myself a pat on my shoulders. :)


Vince Guaraldi's album... I like the album cover :)

-LeB-

0 comments: